In episode # 7, host Tim Jordan interviews Hospice Nurse Penny Hawkins-Smith about her perspective on death and dying. During this fascinating interview, they cover many topics including the challenges involved for families in letting their dying loved one decide how much they want to eat or drink; myths of hospice care; the “death rattle;” how the dying often rally right before death; how the dying often see or reach for people or things in the room; weird things experienced in hospice care; and whether Hospice Nurse Penny believes that death is a door or a wall. Be sure to listen to this excellent conversation!
- Article: Why many doctors still find it difficult to talk about dying with patients. Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ), 2019 January 7; 191:E22-3. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.109-569 Link article below: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6312518/#:~:text=Some% 20struggle%20with%20the%20limitations,lead%20in%20opening %20a%20dialogue.
- The accompanying blog post: https://1795group.com/adding-life-to-ones-remaining-days/
- Listen to all podcast episodes at https://1795group.com/podcast/
- You can also listen, wherever people listen to podcasts (Apple or Google podcasts, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon/Audible, IHeart Radio, etc.)
Hospice Nurse Penny is a major media influencer! She is approaching one million followers on her various social media accounts. You can find her at:
- YouTube: hospicenursepenny
The 1795 Group works with many different types of organizations to improve people’s health and quality of life. Contact us at: email@example.com if you would like to chat about your needs.