Avoiding the Death Spiral
Synopsis: When organizations experience a reduction in funding, the results are never “pretty.” People, programs, and entire departments are often eliminated in an attempt to cut costs. Non-profit organizations are especially vulnerable. In this resource guide, learn to recognize the signs of the death spiral and identify steps that you can take to avoid it.
Learning Objectives: After reading and learning from this resource guide, you will be able to:
- Describe what is meant by “people vote with their feet.”
- Explain why the death spiral starts with the leader of an organization.
- List and describe the 10 stages of the death spiral.
- Describe the 9 signs and symptoms of the death spiral.
- Describe steps that an organization can take to avoid the death spiral.